From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 22:39:11 -0400
Hi Everyone -

    Sharon and I both had a couple of quite lengthy conversations with
Senate Ways and Means, and here is the latest, as of this afternoon:

    The bill is still very much alive.  It has definitely NOT been put in
the 'No longer for consideration this year' folder.  It is not being held
hostage.

    The Committee is getting between three to ten pieces of mail per day
concerning this legislation, from as far away as Canada and California.
There are no letters as yet from Senator Birmingham's district which
includes parts of the towns of Cambridge, Everett, Somerville, Boston (Wards
2, 21, 22), Chelsea, Revere, and Saugus.

    At the moment they are working on some 'Bond Bills' which were filed by
the Governor, and that must go to the head of the line.  No telling what may
come up next.  H295 is a worthy bill, with apparently no opposition, but
there are so many others.

    There were no suggestions forth coming from the committee staff as to
what more we can do that will make a difference (except to do more of it),
but we think that they are very cautiously optimistic for the bill's success
this year.

    Keep talking to your individual Senator's and Representatives to build
awareness of ferrets and of this bill, (H295).  Ask them to speak to Sen
Birmingham and Senator Bulger on our behalf.  Call the ferret hot line if
you need support or information.

    Visit your local pet store(s) in Mass to see if they will display a
flyer, or will put sample letters on the counter for signature and mailing.
NUMBERS are what count here.  The Committee needs to know that their
constituents want this bill.  They already know in their hearts (grin) that
it is a good idea, what they DON'T know is whether or not it will increase
their chances of reelection, should they pass it, maybe at the expense of
another bill that has to wait a year.  Information packets and supplies are
available to get started with this, call the Hot Line (617) 224-1098

    Very positive letters of support have been received from Senators
Amorello, Durand, and Magnani.  They are actively working to gain awareness
and support for this bill among their colleagues.  We need more, and letters
from constituents are a very important part of this process in giving them
comfort that they are doing the right thing.

    Mass Friends will be at the Tri State Halloween party this Sunday in
Nashua with copies of the bill, pre addressed envelopes, sample letters, and
other materials for your use.  Bring yourself and your ideas, it will be fun
to talk.

Bill Williamson
Mass Friends of the Domestic Ferret