From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 1995 11:01:33 -0400
Katie Walker was discussing cataracts:

What does this cataract look like?  There are big disk shaped, small flecks
and almost star shaped cataracts.

Cataracts can come from problems other than genetic, and I am trying to
gather information on them.  Since your vet.  examined it I guess this
isn't a detached retina or something else that can look rather like a
cataract.  I've had a couple of kits get eye infections while nursing -
momma had mastitis and there seems to be a relationship.  One of this kits
got what looks like cataracts and the belief among breeders down here is
that this came from the earlier eye infection.  Dr.  Kawasaki prescribed an
eye ointment that cleared up the eye infection in just a couple of days.
Now we use that ointment when we see the start of an eye infection and have
not had any serious problems since.

The breeders I've talked to so far believe that the star shped cataracts
are genetic.  Any vets or other breeders have information to help us?
-----
Troy lynn was talking about her Scamps teeth:

Scamps teeth seem to be like the teeth from one our litters.  This is the
first litter we've ever had that seems to have a genetic birth defect.
A couple of the fkits have lower teeth extending out of the mouth.  This
litter is at Dr. Kawasakis getting worked on as I write this in fact.
Obviously we'll not breed them and probably neither of their parents
again.  Neither sire nor dam had any sign of a problem.

Dr. Kawaski is going to try filing the teeth down a little bit to reduce
the stress on the upper lip.  Something to be careful of in a ferret with
these teeth protruding is oral infections.  Since the mouth can't close
properly the moistness from the mouth provides a warm, moist environment
that is heaven for all sorts of infectious microbes.  We rescued an exotic
short haired cat from a breeder that is having similar problems.  This is a
short haired version of a Persian and with its 'smashed-in' face is a breed
prone (in the US) too problems like this.  She almost constantly has
halitosis and other oral infections as a result of this dental deformity.
-----
Jennifer Lutton had questions about ferrets as pets

Jennifer, I think a ferret is the best pet for situations like yours.
Since they are self entertaining , litter box trainable, can eat out of
food bins and drink out of water bottles.

Depending upon just how little time you could spend with the ferret the
solution might be a pair in a double/triple story cage about 24"x30".  I
don't know of any really good ferret sources in Pennsylvania near you,
but a pair froma shelter might be the best for a first time owner.  Kits
are much more trouble to train.  A careful eye when they are out and
ferret-proofing of the biggest hazards would probably be sufficient.  I
have never lost a ferret to an accident and I've had ferrets for almost
seven years - quite a few ferrets :)

The medical problems don't really seem that bad from my perspective.
Preventative care such as high quality food (we recommend Totally Ferret
and Iams Cat and Kitten foods), a clean environment, clean air (well
ventilated and air-conditioned as much as possible) and TLC have kept my
ferrets well beyond the average life span in the US.  My 5 year and 11
month old ferret took a best in show in New York last year.  Every one
who knows her comments on how well she looks for her age.  She was also
on the front cover of the most recent American Ferret Report (AFA's
publication) sleeping with my then 3 month old son.  You hear about the
sick ones more than the well ones.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets