From:
Kelleen Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 06:22:50 -0400
Hi All,
Well I've been gone a bit recovering, most especially from a real scare we
had here Friday nite.  I apologise for not remembering his name but the man
who mentioned that we are rather smug when it comes to the effectiveness of
our ferret-proofing was only too right!!!!  I don't feel I'm necessarily smug
about it but I had thought I'd done a good job with everything, WRONG!!!!
For some unknown reason  David felt compelled to go into the kitchen that
evening and he heard a slight scratching noise coming from by the fridge.  He
looked in the back where we had blocked the entrances with 2" by 2" by 4'
boards and found one had been moved enough for a ferret to get by, he
immediately yelled for help and I went running.  He pulled out the fridge and
I was horrified to find that a hole had been forced into the hard cardboard
covering on the back!!!!  I called,  here ferret! (stupid me)  and whistled!
One of my babies stuck her head out the hole and then dashed back inside,
David yelled unplug it as I was already reaching for the plug (we're actually
on the same wave length most of the time).  I reached my arm into the back
and drug out "ROWDY", I should have known it would be her!!!!!  Little miss
leader and dominant of the pack.  She is a most persistent little poop and
who knows how long she worked at the board to get it to move and then worked
on the cardboard to get in!!!!  She was totally covered in dust but perfectly
fine physically and I held her to my chest and cried for the next ten minutes
until she demanded to be let go!  "What in the heck is the big deal here
Mom??????  I had tons of fun in there!"  Thanks Rowdy you just took ten yrs.
at least off of my life!!!!  Well I spent the next 2 hrs. duck taping the
whole back of the fridge where the carboard is leaving small air ducts of
course so it doesn't blow up!  Plus now Taping the boards to it so they can't
be moved by persistent poops!  Rowdy kept coming back and trying to chew
through again and she got yelled NO at I don't know how many times and then
David sprayed bitter apple on it but my babies could care less about the
supposed deterring effects of it and she started chewing again!  So she got a
real good TIME OUT in the cage from midnite to 3am.  Next day I went to my
Mom's and got some cage wire to put over the backs of my 2 fridges and my
freezer!  This will never happen again as long as I live, my poor heart
couldn't handle it!  I need to mention something weird here, after this
happened I felt a kind of presence close to me even though I was all alone
and I firmly believe my family has a Guardian Angel Ferret named Halie
watching over us now!!

So many have mentioned treats I thought I'd throw in some of our babies
favorites.  All 6 go insane for Cantaloupe cut into bite size pieces (ferret
bite size), they like watermelon but mostly the juice, lifesavers are liked
but only a few licks allowed, Fang goes crazy for Snackwells strawberry
cereal bars and his new found treat plain ice cream cones, Shyla will climb
to any heights to obtain a bag of Tandem's dog treats by Pedigree, Rowdy is
nuts for pumpkin seeds (I bought the salted ones in the shells and she gets
soooo impatient while I pop one in my mouth to shell it that she puts her
paws on my chin and waits for the seed to be available and the second she
spys it she grabs it directly from my mouth before I can give it to her.
Amazingly she has never bitten me and does this for each seed given until
she or Mommy has had enough, plus she gives lots of kisses in-between while
the shelling process is going on!), and of course they all are addicted to
Ferretone.  Here's a suggestion for all the Moms and Dads now.  I bought the
absolutely perfect Ferretone dispenser bottle.  It is actually a tiny (3/4
oz.) bottle of machine oil for sewing machines and the like.  I empty the oil
into something else, wash in good hot soapy water, rinse and dry.  The bottle
is made for oil but is lightweight plastic and cleans up beautifully so no
worry about the babies getting well oiled!!!!!  It has a 2" long, small
diameter tube on top and it just pops in and out for easy refilling. There is
a cap that fits over the tube and onto the top of the bottle that screws down
to prevent leaking.  All my babies know this bottle now and they just put
their little mouths over the tip and with very sleight pressure from Mom they
get little tiny drops of Ferretone!!!!!  Ta Dah!  Perfect!  You can purchase
this at most any fabric store and the company that makes the exact bottle I
buy is DRITZ.  I paid $2.39 for it and it is one of the best investments I
have ever made.  Now we have 4 bottles, one for the bedroom, living room,
computer room and the car.  I wouldn't be w/o this now ever.  We have one
really good for them thing that they consider a treat.  Colloidal Silver!  We
give it as a preventative every other day at .2ml. each.  They absolutely
love the stuff.  It has been mentioned a lot here but when I bought mine I
called the company that was recommended to me and they wanted $32.00 plus s/h
for an 8oz. bottle.  Expensive!  It was also mentioned that health food
stores carry it but drastically marked up, not necessarily so.  I called all
the health food stores and all but one were more than the co. but one had an
8oz. bottle for $22.00.  Much better I thought and bought 3 bottles to stock
up!  I noticed on the label the name, address and phone of the co. which I
will give here so you can call your stores or the company direct since this
brand is much less expensive.
Company :  SILVER OZ
                 241 Josephina
                 Las Vegas, NV 89124
                 702-224-5249
             or  702-361-6586
Sorry to have made this so long but had to catch up on everything!  Thanks
for paying attention if you made it to the end!
From Kelleen, David and the Animal House!!!!
Rowdy -" Pumpkin Seeds for EVERYONE Mom!!!!!!"
Shyla -" Where in the heck are those bags of Tandem's?????"
Fang -" Another cone please Mom!!!!"
Silverada -(Mouth full) Too busy hiding a milkbone to talk!!!
Precious - "Precious my a--!!!!!" " Where's the cantaloupe?  Mom
                             *                 it's breakfast time, WHERE IS
THE CANTALOUPE??"
Meetoo - Chomp, Chomp, Squirm, Squirm, Bite, Bite!!!             * *
           " Did somebody say CANTALOUPE?????????"
Rascal - " Cantaloupe, YECH!  Where's Shyla's tail???"  (Shyla * *
           suddenly goes by, being drug by the tail)  "I got her * *
Moneybags -" SOMEBODY SAVE ME!!!!!"  (as Meetoo attacks his rear) *
Silly - " PESTS!  They're ALL pests!  I was here first you know!  *
         I'm going outside for the rest of the nite!  BYE!!!!!!!!"
David - " Insanity????  Did someone mention INSANITY?????"
Kelleen -" A ferret mother's work is NEVER done!!!!!!!!! "             *
            " SEND HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!"