From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 1995 21:22:22 -0400
With all the discussion about getting your ferret to fly in-cabin on an
airline...

there is one central theme - domestic animals are allowed, but airlines don't
know ferrets are domestic animals.

1.  I have a letter from the USDA stating ferrets are domestic animals, and
anyone interested in a copy can send a Self Addresses Stamped Envelope to:

STAR* Ferrets - USDA letter
PO Box 1714
Springfield, VA 22151-0714

Show that to the ticket agent when making a reservation and have them type in
"documentation reviewed" on your flight assignment.

2.  I think we could all get involved in a nice letter campaign to the Pet
Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC), attention Marshall Meyers,
1220 19th St, NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
1-800-553-PETS
He works on pet industry issues (though not always to our advantage - wants
to hold up legalization of ferrets in Mass until they are allowed to sell in
pet shops), but he also has ties with the FAA and THEY are the people who
could easily make ferrets cabin creatures if they received enough pressure.

so, write PIJAC and tell them you want ferrets legal in Mass and THEN he can
work on getting them legal to sell in pet shops, and 2 - you want ferrets
legal on in-cabin flights on all major airlines.

Have fun,

Pam

[Moderator's note: Meanwhile, the situation for MarkAir is worse.  Sorry
to get your hopes up the other day... turns out that now the FAA has
grounded them completely. (Though they can appeal, the FAA's allegations
seem to have some substance to them, so this might be the end for the
ferret friendly carrier.)  BIG]