From:
Pat O_Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 09:33:57 PST
Hi everyone,

One of the hats I wear is that of a pharmacist, and I have been fielding
questions about CP ever since it hit the "weight loss" market 2-3 years
ago.  I am also a graduate student in toxicology and molecular biology,
so I did some digging about this one.

For whatever it is worth, here are some points to ponder.

* chromium has a necessary function in the body important to our cells'
adequate response to the effects of insulin; i.e., the transport and
utilization of glucose for fuel.
* chromium transport into cells, like lots of ions in the internal mileau,
is regulated by a specific mechanism such that enough is present, but not
too much.
* the piccolinate salt of chromium apparently by-passes this normal
regulatory mechanism and takes chromium right into the cells.
* the FDA minimum daily requirement in human adults is 5-15mcg/day.
Currently faddish doses of CP that are available in pharmacies and health
food stores are 200mcg per tablet, and the recommended dose may be _3_
tablets per day!!
* the only research articles promoting the use of these high doses of CP
have appeared in, IMHO, some rather questionable journals.
* although there has been some interest and real science performed about
the use of CP in diabetes (hyperglycemia), the American Diabetes
Association does NOT endorse its use.
* to me MOST IMPORTANT, chromium is a documented human carcinogen.  True,
the cancers that occur have been primarily in the lung in workers employed
in the chroming industry.

So, my question is, why in the world would anyone want to expose themselves
or a pet to high doses of a known carcinogen that would be carried right
into their cells to attack their DNA, when the benefits are truly
questionable????

I may get flamed for this one, but I would be curious to hear anyone else's
opinions.

And, by the way, Elsa and I are getting along much better these days...I
think she really does just want to play when she comes along and nips at my
instep.  And thanks to Mark Z. for his reply about that.

Pat O'Neal