From:
Richard Beveridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 1995 12:23:19 -0700
First of all, I have never seen so much information, stories, legal
issues, and useful stuff on ferrets all in one spot.. all accessabe,
and all so relevant.
I thought people who owned ferrets were few and far between, and
actually only knew one other person who had one.
We now have 4 critters, having picked up o;ne at the SPCA 3 weeks ago,
and getting the last from the lady who runs the SPCA 3 days ago.
"Suzzie" is a biter. She is a spayed 3 year old which will eat the
meat off the bone of any finger or foot that gets close to her teeth.
She knuckled onto young Timothy who has only been here 3 weeks; chased
'ol man Arnold to his den, and tried taking on the "Boss", little
Tootsie.
Arnie and Toots have been together close to 4 years with us, and eat,
sleep and play together just fine. Timothy is a little shy still, but
seems to be fitting in OK.
We think we solved the biting problem by spraying Bitter Apple on all
exposed skin. Although it did cost me 4 stab wounds to the hand when I
offered her the 'free 'bite.We did, however notice she started chewing
the telphone cord after that. Nothing distructive, just a few hard
bites then she would walk away. Do they need to exercise their jaws
every so ofter or is that just trying to rationalize a bad habit?
Would it be too much to hope for in the future that they all sleep
together, or do they like separate dens?

thanks in advance,
Rick and Sharron Beveridge