From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 13:16:54 -0400
I'm surprisingly not in agreement with Dr. Williams...

When Dr. Kawasaki prescribes pepto for our ferrets we give them the
liquid.  Some actually like the stuff but all will take it.  Usually the
ferrets are given other medicines prescribed along with the pepto and we
use droppers or syringes.  We scruff the ferrets, point their noses at
the ceiling. I put the dropper/syringe (not a hypodermic) into their
mouth at the side near their cheeks.  If the teeth are 'clenched' you can
still slowly squirt it in this way.  As the liquid goes in they start
licking.  I never have trouble giving pepto or amoxcillin these way.  It
is also how I 'force feed' when I have a really ailing ferret.  However
their are also the ferrets that like 'medicine' so much my daughter can
give it to them by merely putting the dropper barely through the wires at
the top of the cage - these ferrets will come right up to lap the 'treat'!

I guess all ferrets have different tastes.  And I guess we people all
have our own ways of working with our furballs.

Oh, I've gotten some pictures developed from the Metro ferret show and some
shots from around the house.  I'm going to send different shots to several
of the ferret publications.  People will see MY opinion of ferrets and
babies together.  My baby (human now at three months) holding and sleeping
with my elderly jills (5 and 6 year olds).  And yes they were closely
supervised - though I was more worried about the poor ferrets than my son.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets