From:
Phyllis Berker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 04:38:27 -0400
I was pretty upset with the way this segment was presented too.  The one
problem I have relates to this 9 yr. old child.  Not once was it brought up
about where the heck "parental supervision" was in the picture when the child
was 29 days old for gosh sakes!  Any responsible, caring parent would NOT
leave a dog, cat or any other kind of pet with a baby or young child without
supervising. CA. wants to blame the whole for the act of one!  LIke someone
else said here, dogs and cats statistically are reported far more than a
ferret for attacking or mauling children.  The difference is like night and
day. Shouldn't we ban ALL domestic pets then?  Why single out one. Again,
parental supervision has to be questioned in any attack of a pet on a child.
  I feel bad for the young girl - but I'd like to know more details. I feel
that this girl was being "used" by the HS when she was presented before the
legislature in CA.  The other beef is with the Humane Society's attitude in
CA.  I heard some rumor years back that the HS was so fearful that ferrets
were fast becoming popular pets, that no one would adopt the orphaned cats
and dogs, and less monies would be filtered through the HS because of the
attention ferrets were being given. After hearing the spokesman for the HS on
this CBS segement, the "rumor" somehow doesn't seem too far-fetched a story.
Even our GCFA had a problem with the Chicago area HS facilities.  The HS
refused to release any stray or abandoned ferrets they acquired, and would
just euthanize the ferrets.  Finally, after a struggle, a rapport and working
relationship was struck between our local ferret shelter and the Chicago HS.
It's all so ridiculous!  The CA. HS attitudes are so prejudice, and the
society is definitely not "humane" in my opinion.

Phyllis Berker
Lake Villa, IL.