From:
"Dr. Gary Holowicki" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 1995 18:36:20 -0700
Press release clarification, 5/30/95
From:
DR. Gary Holowicki, [log in to unmask], 602-968-1523, pager 800-209-1071,
Compuserve 75464,741,

Re: Earlier references to "...the extinction of the race in captivity as
well.."  are incorrect.

    In my first release I did not have accurate information as to the
structure of the whole program.  Because the BFF's that were released into
the wild came from the Pueblo facility, I made the wrong assumption that
it was THE breeding facility for the BFF's.  It is really a research
facility, but as they apparently had the most healthy stock, their little
ones were chosen for the release effort.  With the banning of the medical
person due to her outspoken criticism of some aspects of the entire
program, and the departure of the only other person of experience with
care of the ferrets, I saw the future of the ferrets in grave danger of
health and survival, which they are, especially if they are labeled "non
productive" due to age.

    The fact remains that the elder ferrets which are scheduled to be
released into the wild have a terrible chance of survival, and it is totally
wrong to consider them "non productive" and tantamount to expendable because
of budget cuts.  (my personal opinion).  The concept of the Living Care
Center as providing continuing care for the elders of the current breading
ferrets is the only feasible proposed situation currently available.

    The last two releases have been verbatim, with no interpretation or
editorializing.  It will remain so in the future, and any statements of my
own beliefs and feelings will be posted separately, so as to eliminate
confusion & keep data from the Living Care Center pure and factual.  You
can note the story of Sabrina is signed by Carolyn, not the Living Care
Center.

        Respectfully,  Gary H.