From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 1995 08:03:29 -0500
Jay, sometimes it seems that ferrets don't know they'll like something.
Like little kids, I guess, who don't want to try something knew because
they think they won't like it.

I put Ferretone or Nutrical or baby food on my finger and quickly force a
small bit into their mouth.  They'll make a face and squint their eyes
and shake their heads, but MOST of the time, they'll realize "Hmmmm...
this tastes pretty good!" After that it's no problem.

On the other hand.....Mandy is 7 1/2 years old and has NEVER eaten a
grape, raisin, mellon - she doesn't like fruit at all, and since I've
learned more about nutrition and ferret GI systems, I tend to stay away
from fruit anyway.  I give an occasional raisin but mostly chicken (or
Turkey for Elliott) baby food warmed up a bit with dry food crunched
like graham cracker crumbs and mixed in the with baby food.  They think
that's the nuts!  :)

For ferrets who don't like fruit, I used to put Linatone on it and
then they would eat and most of them converted (except Mandy) to fruit.
But now I've decided, if I have to coat something to make them it,
then they must really not want it, so why am I forcing it?

I actually have 1 ferret who DOESN'T like Linatone or Ferretone - so
I use Nutrical or Laxatone to clip his nails.

Hope this helps.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA