From:
Brian K Maas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 1995 01:06:11 -0500
I've wanted to respond to recent questions on squeaky toys and digging at
the door but until now just have not had the chance. First on the digging
at the door. My ferret has her own bedroom all to herself (her brother
passed away 2 years back). Instead of shutting the door I cut a piece a
plexiglass to fit across the width of the door. The plexi is about 2 1/2
feet high and is held in place by moulding outside the door jab that runs
the length of the plexi from top to bottom on both sides. This way I can
let Anna out by just sliding the plexiglass upwards and placing a tube
underneath tall enough for her to crawl in and out at will. She has to
stay in her room while my wife and I are at work or while our Dalmatian
is running lose in the house. The plexiglass also allows us to go into
and out of the bedroom freely and to observe Anna at play (yes the
Dalmatian will watch Anna also and gives her "kisses"). When ever Anna
wants out she will just curl up in front of the plexiglass until someone
sees her and opens it up for her. She never scratches.

She treats all her squeaky toys as her babies. Better not try to move one
out of it's special place though. That's equal to disturbing the balance
of the universe. The squeaky's also have come in useful when Anna has
fallen asleep somewhere other than her room and we can't find her. She
always comes a runnin' when one of her babies is making noise.
Brian & Anna (age 8)