From:
Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 08:25:19 CDT
Hi all,

First, I'd like to say how sorry I am to all those who have suffered
losses.  To all those who are having surgeries, or already have, I hope
there is a speedy recovery.

I'm also sorry for all of those who have recently posted about how difficult
it has been to integrate a "new" ferret with the "old" one(s).  But, (this
is my chance to gloat!) we have not yet experienced any problems with
Snookie and her new playmate, Boomer.  Boomer is four months old and Snookie
is 1.5 years.  Since day one they pretty much liked each other.  For the
first week, Snookie would "bottle brush" any time Boomer decided to be "too
playful" (he would tackle her and then try to wrestle) but they are now
napping together under the sofa and wrestling/playing all the time!  I'm
very happy!  We still separate them at night (they're even in separate
rooms) but we leave them together in Snookie's room during the day when
we're at work.

We had to take Boomer to the vet a few days ago.  He developed an infection
at the place where a scent gland was removed.  The vet put him on a broad
spectrum antibiotic and his sore seems to be clearing.

I haven't had *that* much experience with ferrets (oh, only about four
months, now) but Boomer is interesting (aren't they all"!).  When Snookie
runs around the house, it's more like the way a horse gallops...ummm...
well...her front paws hit the floor at *different* times (as do her rear
paws).  When Boomer runs around (especially when he's in a REALLY playful
mood) both rear paws hit the ground, then *both* front paws...he looks like
a toy wind-up ferret!!  He will also sometimes stand in one spot and jump
straight up and down!!  He's really funny!!

Oh, I'm thinking about attending the LIFE show in Atlanta on Oct.  14.  I
have sent for an information packet and if any of you are planning to
attend, I'd be very happy to meet you!  I haven't decided if I'm actually
entering Snookie and/or Boomer but we'll see!

 -Mark Z.

  Snookie - "Can I puh-LEEZE have some more Fig Newton?!"
  Boomer -  "RUN, RUN, RUN!  PLAY, PLAY, PLAY!  Speed-bump!  RUN
                  RUN, RUN!  PLAY, PLAY PLAY!  Speed-bump!"