From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 1995 23:57:23 -0700
To Jen Marie -

>I just got off the phone with Jen & She says that Tiki is hard from the
>penile sheath to the anus-- sort of a hard knot shaped like a finger.  He
>now has begun to squirm if the area is examined and the hard mass seems
>to have gotten larger.  He appears to have difficulty in going to the
>bathroom, & when he is successful, his bowel movements are thinne r &
>less than usual, although his appetite is normal and so is his behavior.
>He is also leaking fluid from his penis...  not as if to mark territory,
>but randomly, as he walks & plays, etc....

     Jen - first, I would make sure that you are not feeling the os penis
(ferrets, like several other mammals have bones within the penis).
Something else that I would be concerned about is a tumor of the penile
sheath.  Ferrets have numerous cysts and tumors fo the scent glands in this
area.  There is a fairly high rate of malignant skin tumors in this area
(higher than any other spot on the body), so I think that a biopsy is
definitely warranted in this case.

Best of luck,

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP