Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 01:14:10 -0700
Ok-I'll add my two cents quickly.
I'm currently a California resident, but only for another few weeks.  At some
time in the future I may come back, but if they haven't repealed the ferret
ban, I will most CERTAINLY cross the border on an unguarded road.  Why?
Well, I won't use direct quotes, but let me relay the pertinent facts from
the August '95 issue of the Ferrets Anonymous newsletter (which just came a
few days ago...)

B---- U---- of Arizona tried to smuggle his ferret across the border (at
Blythe, so you know), but was caught by the patrol.  He turned around with
his pet, but tried to cross again later.  Well, apparently, the border guards
will perform VERY THOROUGH searches of cars they have turned around once
already.

Well, B.'s ferrets were taken from him (they are, however safe now says the
article), and B. was ticketed.  Not having the money for the $500 ticket
(plus 3 years probation), the court said he could spend 4 days in jail
instead.  So our friend B. was in jail from August 1-4.

IN SUMMARY:  I see no good reason to cross at a patrolled part of the border
when we KNOW that there are roads that are unpatrolled.  If you don't want to
take the time to go to one of these places, well good luck.

Just my two cents.

So keep up the legalization fight, California (and Massachusetts) folks!
Sorry I'm leaving, but I'm headed to Ferret Legal places. Oh Boy!

And for those California-ites who are sticking around, JOIN ONE OF THE
PRO-FERRET POLITICAL ORGANIZATIONS!!!  Certainly the California Domestic
Ferret Organization posts here often enough, so you should be able to get in
touch with them ([log in to unmask]) and Ferrets Anonymous can be reached at P.O.
Box 3395, San Diego CA 92163.  I'll buy everyone a drink if carpet sharks are
legal by the time I get back. (If I get back...)

--James Grove
Just TRY and bust me, ya bleedin' Fish and Game Stormtroopers!