From:
Cindy Sooy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 07:37:00 UTC
I asked my vet about Tribrissen. She said she does not like it and doesn't
use it unless she has to and then only for very short periods of time.
According to her, Tribrissen is an old Sulfa based antibiotic which can
destroy blood platelets. Most drug allergies in people are to sulfa based
drugs (I'm one of them). Antibiotic treatment in large dogs can get very
expensive and she will prescribe Tribrissen only if the owners cannot afford
anything else and the dog must be carefully watched for adverse reactions.
She said Albon is also a sulfa based antibiotic and she will only prescribe
this drug for 5-7 days again being alert for adverse reactions. She will not
prescribe it for ferrets.