From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 1995 19:51:52 -0400
Hello - here I am still trying to catch up with back FML's.

A friend visited her vet (oops, I mean allergist) for testing.  Because she
tested allergic to cats, she was told to get rid of her ferrets because
people who are allergic to cats are also allergic to ferrets, Because Ferret
Dander is So Similar To Cats.  This doctor must have graduated in the bottom
quarter of his class.  First - ferrets are a different species from cats.
Second - there is no ferret allergy challenge test yet.  Third - I must take
prednisone when I am going to be in a house with cats because of serious cat
allergy.  Odd my ferrets sleep in bed with me and I do not react.

A while back there was chatter on line about screaming ferrets.  The shiek
ferrets make when they accidentally insert their foot or tail under your
foot is different from a real scream - which some have noted - that will send
chills down your spine and make fine hairs on your body stand up.  I have a
few who scream.  Two Canadians let out un-Godly screams when they are racing
around and someone suddenly appears around a corner or opens a door.  I think
this is part of their fun and games.  A real screamer ferret in my home a
year or so ago, would set off my ferrets to such an extent, that after she
was socialized, she went to live with another ferret owner.  She illicited
attack from the Canadians in particular, and a whole hob who seemed bent on
doing her in.  She is very happy in her new home and rarely screams now.  She
was a trauma case.  I also have a ferret who, when he gets really upset, sits
up and barks like a dog.  On a vet visit to check an infection, I told the
vet he had been barking which alerted me to a problem.  The vet said to his
knowledge, ferrets did not bark.  Whereupon, he reached for Sparky to check
him & the Plug sat up on his hind feet and barked.  Ferrets not only scream
for various reasons, but bark if terribly upset or in pain.

Marrianne - by the description of color markings on your ferret, I wonder if
you have a panda.  A panda would have an entirely white head.  If just the
face is white and the ferret has a bib and mitts, you probably have a sable
mitt.

Hi Monica - of course your ferrets are not nearsighted.  They are Canadians
and everyone knows Canadians can see through walls and leap over or get
through or on top of anything they wish.  My four Canadians climb my clothes
to get to closet shelf,  and accomplish anything they want. I use round band
boxes stacked in the corner for ferret stairs so they can get in window sill
and enjoy fresh air.  Screen of course, is super, super sturdy.  I think they
are TOO SMART!

Carol Ames - I was interested in your research for ancient art on ferrets.
I have a reposse representation of da Vinci's "Woman with Ermine" from the
Georgian period.  It is an icon, made into a pin and with Early Victorian
frame.  The medium is silver.  Have to watch my back - Pam Grant covets it
big time.  I may cast some in silver when I have a chance - but the very
fine frame is a concern in removing it for casting.

Mish - my ferrets stay out all the time with exception of whole hobs in
season, jills near gestation, jills in season and kits.  Some of these for
obvious reason need to be kept separate at various times.  I have somewhere
between l0 and 20 ferrets - not sure, they move to fast to count.

Sprite - excellent directions for riding fleas by fine tooth combing.
However, (and I don't mean to be gross) why not skip the glass of soapy
water and just sit by your toilet and flip caught fleas into the john.  I
find this much better and faster.  After a nasty infestation several years
ago, I have developed a flea phobia.  One flea in my house turns me into
"Dr.  Death" -- Agggh!  I go into a frenzy of stripping bedding, washing,
scrubing, bathing ferrets, spraying (natural ingredients safe for kittens,
of course), etc.  I do not use flea sprays if a jill is preggers.

Nocturnal Ferrets?  No, ferrets are not nocturnal unless you are.  My ferrets
seem to work their awake schedule around my schedule.  Other ferret friends
report the same.  However, teenagers are nocturnal.  I believe this is
because their brains are taken over by alien life forms at puberty.  My
proof?  l. They are hostile life forms.  2. They are nocturnal.  3. They
only group with others of their kind, and 4. They do not relate to life as
we know it on this planet.

My ferrets reminded me that we forgot to mention on yesterdays post their
fear that Rachel Lamb and others of her ilk might get loose and propogate in
the wild.  We fear this would pose potential problems to the ecological
balance.

"nuff for now.  Regards to all.  Meg