From:
Joseph Adam Brzostowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 1995 13:14:05 -0400
Hi all

Diane Emery wrote that Rocket loves to have his ears rubbed and "skocher"
from Istanbul writes the same about RikkiTikki and Emma.  Well, our Tica
has found ear rubbing to be her new favorite pastime.  She lays belly up
over my legs and yawns and yawns and she lets the massage continue for
quite a while.  I agreed that the yawn is reflexive, but seems to be a
nice thing.

I have a question about ear cleaning - I remember this was a recent topic.
Just got back from the vet, getting shots for our new baby, Mole' (accent
over the e).  We asked him about ear cleaning and he said NOT to use
peroxide to clean ears but rather alcohol and gave what seemed to be a
very good reasons that appealed to my scientific nature.  He cited that 1)
as the peroxide bubbles it converts to water and that since the ferret ear
canal is not straight like ours, the water can get trapped and lead to
other problems if it doesn't get out; and 2) as peroxide converts to water
it releases heat (exothermic reaction for you chemists) and this could be
uncomfortable as well as damaging to the fuzzy if too much peroxide got
into the ear canal.  Now I know alcohol can be COLD when applied and then
be HOT when it evaporates, experiences you swimmers can attest to, but
since it evaporates there would not be a problem with trapped water.  As
for H2O2, I know one can be careful but accidents happen.

What do you all think?  Is there something I am missing?

Joe and Erika and our ferrets, Tica and Mole'

--

Joseph A Brzostowski
University of Virginia