Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 07:20:02 -0500
From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
To Erik McMillan,

Shame, shame, shame on the breeder who sold you a kit so young.....this
is more or less excpected (though not approved) by ferret farms who
wholesale to pet stores but I would expect more from a private breeder.

What your Mom is most likely referring to is that "baby-ferret" smell.
I'm not 100 percent sure, but I believe that I've read that odor is a
protection odor - kits of wild relatives have a similar odor - it's
supposed to keep them being so appetizing and unprotected when Mom is
away from the nest.

As your baby ferret gets older, this smell will fade and eventually
disappear altogether.

As a breeder myself, I *love* that baby ferret smell......some of my
friends think I'm crazy, but then...when I travel down a country road
where a skunk has been, I roll down my window and take a deep breath!
I only know of one other person who likes the smell of skunks, and I've
decided it must be a genetic quirk in the olfactory system.

Don't try to wash it off or spray your baby with anything.  Most likely,
if you had gotten this kit at a more 'normal' time - say around 10 weeks -
this odor would pretty much have been gone by then.  Excessive washing
will only dry out the skin, and it will be a temporary solution at best.

And, Erik, I know you've gotten a lot of advice and information over the
past few weeks, but be careful about your ferret knowledge.  I've had
ferrets for 10 years now, have been actively involved in a club for 5 years,
this is my 3rd year breeding.......and there is always something more to
learn!!

As far as bottle feeding:  you run the risk of the baby eating the nipple -
what I would do with a baby this young - and this is strictly my own
opinion (and practice) - crush up some kitten food (Iams, Totally Ferret,
whatever you're using - and I HOPE it is a good quality kitten food) -
into crumbs - and mix it with some warmed-up chicken baby food.  When
weaning babies, I use a product called  Just Born - it the powder mixes up
much better than KMR, and the liquid will last 14 days in the fridge.  Add
a small amount of this to your mix and feed this FRESH several times a day.
Many pet stores carry this now - my ferrets have never had diarrhea when
fed this - in your situation w/only 1 ferret, I wouldn't add more than 1/2
nooo not 1/2 - I meant to type 1/3 of a teaspoon to each feeding.  Your
baby is still a good 2 weeks away from adult teeth and may have trouble
eating crunchies yet.

Also at this age, he will probably end up in the middle of the dish, so
be prepared for cleanup time after each feeding!  Have a warm, wet wash
cloth handy!

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY