From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 1995 22:23:43 -0400
>>Also, if an animal control person knocks on your door
what rights do you have? Must they have a search warrant to come in? <<
     YES

>>Can they only confiscate in the case of a bite?<<
     Only if they have the warrent...

>> Do you have the option of leaving the FFZ on the spot with the babies? <<
     In CA - yes - you have 5 days to get them out of the state.  In MA, they
might give you time, but if they seize an illegal ferret and it is NOT
involved in a bite case, it is usually shipped out of state (CT or NH ferret
shelters).  DC is the worst - they will seize and kill and THEN call you at
work.

You should have a safe house in state and out of state in case of emergency.
I will act as a contact to get a safe house for DC residents.  Other FFZ's
should look on the STAR* list and call someone nearby to make (hopefully
unnessasary) arrangements.

For more info on *Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets, and to receive
a listing of ferret shelters, contacts, vets, supplies, clubs, etc.
in your state, send a LONG self addressed stamped envelope to:

STAR* Ferrets
PO Box 1714
Springfield, VA 22151-0714

This is NOT just for shelters only!  Information helps all ferrets and
owners.  Membership is very affordable for 1 year and includes a
quarterly newsletter, the book _FERRET CARE and RESCUE_, and forms for
caring for ferrets.

Pam Grant, Director