From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 1995 22:05:07 -0600
To whomever wanted to know:
        Ferrets and balloons don't mix. A year ago, shortly before my
little Espie chewed and swallowed a hard chunk of rubber and nearly died,
my vet had just removed pieces of a balloon from the intestines of a male
ferret kit who had chewed and swallowed them. Then, as if that wasn't bad
enough, the owner had to bring the ferret back because he still couldn't
eat or drink or defecate, and my vet discovered there was another piece
of the same balloon still blocking his esophagus. It sounded like a very
unpleasant situation all the way around.
        My little Espie was in awful shape. She couldn't eat, she
couldn't drink, she couldn't go the bathroom, and although she tried all
night, she couldn't vomit. She would make a pitiful little squealing
sound, and I was terrified she wouldn't make it through the night. The
piece of rubber had jammed her small intestine, and nothing could pass.
That's what happens when ferrets swallow things that get stuck. Thank God
she made it. I'm so lucky I still have her.
                                Linda