From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 1995 14:01:29 -0400
>A friend of mine is moving to Massachusetts. Her understanding is that ferrets
>are illegal there.

>1) Is this true?
Yes it is, I'm afraid.

>2) Can she get a special permit?
No, they're just flat out not allowed.

>3) Is there any other workaround for her to be able to keep the ferret.
Ignore the law.  Most times, the police have better things to do.  Don't
flash your ferret around in public, or take him/her out for walks in the
park.  Getting an apartment is a little wierd, since you have to inspect
any prospective apt from the viewpoint of ferret-proofing it.  You also
have to keep a "bolt-hole" in mind, too, a place to stash the weasel when
the landlord comes over.  Finding veterinarians has not been a problem for
me.  In general, it's easier than the Southern U.S., where all the
landlords are ferret-phobic, although I honestly don't know how I'm going
to break it to my landlord if they get legalized here.

>4) If there is no workaround, what are her best options for commuting to
>   work/school from a nearby state?
As a Mass. native, I can honestly say that it's easier to live with a
ferret in Mass than to commute in from another state.  That extra commuting
time is better spent with the critters.  Unless you'll be working right
near the border, of course.

Good luck!

-anon