From:
Carie Guppy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 1995 20:40:33 -0400
For the past three days I have cried tears for my best friend, visiting his
grave every day to tell him how much I miss him already, and imagining his
cold little body in the shoe box we so carefully enclosed him in- there
underneath the dirt.  Hershey was my buddy for 6 wonderful years, and they
were years that I suppose were actually a gift to me.  It was 2 years ago
that I was told he would live only another 3-4 months.  It was a year and a
half ago that I thought his days were numbered as he became emaciated and
lethargic.  But I am convinced that the time he spent with me that was not
meant to be was in part because of my love for him, and in part because of
his love for me.  Hershey was an insulinoma ferret, and his last few months
of life was spent with me hand feeding him a specially-made concoction of
things.  His last week of life, he and I struggled, as he refused to eat
and I refused to let him starve.  On Saturday, I awoke to find him layed
out flat and salivating.  I had always told myself that I would know when
it was his time, and I knew it was his time.  As I cried on him, telling
him to snap out of it, he told me it was okay.  The real reason I knew his
time had come was that when the veterinarian pierced his little heart with
the lethal needle, he didn't even flinch.  A true soldier to the very end.
And when he had left us, he didn't look any different than when I had
brought him in to the clinic.  Yes, I miss that little bugger.  Yes, I made
the decision to end his life- because I loved him so much- but it's still
difficult for me to deal.  Frusen has spent the last three days in the bed
I found him in that morning.  Zola seems to be concerned that he is gone.
Dar'C is frolicking as usual... and Morgen (the sig. other) and I have
spent a lot of time talking about him and crying to ourselves- partly for
the sadness we feel and partly for the joy he brought us over the years.
We love you Hershey, wherever you are.  Sorry for the long posting, just
wanted to get some grief out.

 Carie and her zoo (who are also getting degrees to be veterinarians, or so
they think), Frusen, Zola, Dar'C, Gelert, L.P., Mariah, Harley, Irkalla and
the unnamed rat snake. Class of '97, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of
Vet Med