From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 20:24:27 -0600
To Deborah, who asked about showing her ferrets at an exotic pet day:

I showed my "exotic pets" (geez, the ferrets who have been reading the
FML on the sly are going to get big egos!) to 2 classes of 3rd graders
at the grade school I'd attended (my mom works there).  I actually
think it's better showing them under those conditions - a teacher is
there to help keep order, and kids probably have fewer preconceived
notions about them.  It went very well, and the worst reactions I had
were a couple of kids who thought they didn't smell good.  (Remind
them that dogs and cats have smells too, but that most people are more
used to that kind of smell.)

I'd recommend reading the FAQ through before you go.  I know that the
AFA sells "What Is a Ferret" pamphlets in 50-packs for $7.50 + s&h
(call 301-898-3228 for info).  I'm sure there are other groups who
provide such things.  Has the GLFA come up with a pamphlet?

Other than that, just be friendly and informative.  I take my lil ones
to a pet food warehouse store to go shopping - and educate people on
the way.  I always try to give some idea of their personality and what
is involved in caring for them.  Before I left each of the classrooms,
I told them that they should never get a pet just because it looks
neat or cute, but only if they can keep up with taking care of them.
A teacher added that all the pets she'd seen at the pound recently
had "no time" as the reason they were there.  Ferrets should be
promoted as great pets, but all pets need good, responsible owners.

Happy ferreting,
Denise (whose old computer had a short in the motherboard, and had to
    get another one :( but at least is on the FML again),
plus Rocko and Randall (who had lots of fun trying to steal computer
    parts and knocking over stacks of disks)

--
/\\    ____  ,^-o, Denise Voskuil - [log in to unmask]
  ``-,'    `-';~~     Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"