From:
James Cristea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 12:29:00 -0500
I can't help but think on Annie Lennox's song "No more I love yous..."
when I think about Cody now.

I had Cody euthanized on Saturday, June 17.  He was going downhill.  He
had too many siezures and could not keep down any food I gave him.  It
was a _VERY_ difficult decision to make.  His weight had dropped from
840 grams pre-op to less than 600 grams on Saturday.  I tried most of
the suggestions giving to me on the FML but they did not seem to help.
It was only the previous two days that Cody took a turn for the worst.
He would walk 5 feet and then collapse out of lack of energy.  He seemed
to want to just let go.  I don't like use anthropomorphism, but on
Friday Cody put some of his toys back in the cabinet under the coffee
table (he never did this before; only removed them before).

A friend on mine took me to the vet on Saturday and I said my last
goodbye to Cody and told him I loved him.  He was quiet when the needle
went in and I didn't even realize he had passed until I looked at his
side to see him not breathing.  I buried him in his favorite towel at
Washington's Crossing State Park along the Delaware River.  It was a
wonderfully peaceful spot on a beautiful day.  A few roses were set atop
Cody's grave and a small bouquet of fleabane flowers.

When I cleaned my house this past weekend, I kept finding "Cody-fied"
things.  I emptied the trash can in the bathroom (Cody's favorite
sleeping spot) and found three sponge balls he had put in there.  The
house is quiet and lonely.  I may get a few ferrets in the future, but
not immediately.  Cody was a very special part of my life for 5 years
and it is not easy to fill that niche.

I had to stop a few time while writing this because it upsets me quite a
bit.  I hope you think about Cody tonight when you play with your carpet
sharks and appreciate every minute with them because a tragedy like mine
can pop up unexpectedly.  When your ferret gets into trouble in your
house, just pause for a second and tell yourself that you have a ferret
and ferrets do ferret want to do.  Let him have fun--it may be a little
mess to clean up, but you'll have a happy ferret.

Special thanks to Anne Charbonneau for your support and to everyone else
who had given me suggestions and hope!

Thank you,
Jim Cristea