From:
Mason Weinrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 1995 12:05:50 -0400
Two questions for people, both brought about by the Slinky-Pogo
introduction:

1) Dr.  Williams has said to watch for tooth-grinding as a tip off to
ulcers.  I am watching Slinky closely, as I just introduced these two
into the same cage.  Does this mean a horizontal gnashing of teeth?
It may seem like a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I know
what I am looking for.

2) When the two are wrestling, each will often make a sound which is
relatively new to me.  It sounds sort of like an asthmatic inhale or an
inhale with a definite lisp.  I have heard reference to hisses, but all
of the hisses I know of are made on the exhale, and this is definitely
done on the inhale.  Both of them have used it fairly frequently, so it
must be familiar to others.

The first night of having both in the same cage went well - they both
appeared to sleep through the night.  There was some conflict over
Slinky's sleeping spot.  He usually sleeps inside a flannel pillow
case, which Pogo also decided was quite comfy.  Slinky was upset about
hthis at firts, since he couldn't get in it with Pogo lying on top of
it; when he tried to push Pogo aside, Pogo decided it was time to play
and wrestle (not Slinky's intention at all).  When I got up this
morning, though, Slinky was inside it, and Pogo on top of the rest of
it.  No blood was shed.

Thanks again to all who helped with this intro - I'm very psyched the
end is in sight!

Best - Mason, Slinky ("Pogo, I'm tired - I just want to sleep - MOVE!"),
Pogo ("Oh, boy - my playmate is in here all of the time!  Yay!"), and
Leila ("As long as they don't sleep out here, its all fine with me.")