From:
Cindy Sooy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 07:09:00 UTC
I bought 2 kits a few years ago from a breeder in Fla. She gives a bottle of
Ivermectin with every kit she sells. I kept them on it for a while then
stopped because my vet was concerned about the effects Ivermectin has on
breeding animals and I planned on breeding these two. Is there any danger or
side effects associated with Ivermectin use in breeding ferrets?

I have 12 ferrets, plus kits, all indoor ferrets and have always felt they
were safe but now I've decided that it's a whole lot easier to prevent
heartworms than to treat them so I would like to get them on the medication.
I have several questions:
 1) At what age should you start kits on Ivermectin?
 2) Dr. Williams mentioned a dosage of 30mcg/lb once a month, does Ivermectin
come in a standard concentration?
 3) Should all my ferrets be tested before I put them on medication? Is the
test the same as for a dog?

Cindy