From:
Katrina D Ramsell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 1995 19:38:06 -0400
Hi Everyone!
   There has recently been much concern and many discussions about what fate
awaits the elderly black-footed ferrets. I was just wondering what breeding
facilities such as Marshall Farms, Path Valley, etc. do with their ferrets who
are past breeding age. Do they euthanize them?! Do they find homes for them? Do
they have a facility to let the old ones live their lives out in peace? Since
it does not seem financially intelligent for a breeding facility to have a
special place for old ferrets and I'm sure MF and other breeders aren't about
to take the time, make the effort, or spend the money to find homes for elderly
ferrets, I can't imagine what else they would do besides euthanize them. If
this is the case, and they just euthanize old ferrets because they are no
longer profitable, I will be extremely disturbed. This would mean probably
thousands of sweet ferrets are killed each year because they can no longer
reproduce. Does anyone know what happens to these elderly retired breeding
ferrets?
                         Thanks,
                         Katrina Ramsell and Tilly, Molly, and Sabella