From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 1995 10:13:29 -0400
Hello FML  - I'm new on computer, AOL, & FML.   This is only fifth time I;ve
touched a computer in my life.  Bought all the books for dummies - but they
are written on asumption you know what all the little things on the keyboard
means.  Ha! I can;t even find my rat or mouse or whatever you call it.  It
keeps going away and changing into other things.  Talk to me fast guys - may
not last on this thing.  I figure can write anything I wish because, thus
far, I've been e-mailing to myself.  No wonder I kept getting new incoming
mail which I could not access because I did not know how.  But it was nice to
get mail even from me.

My name is Meg and my call is ChaoticFer.AOL.  I'm the health coordinator
for The League of Independent Ferret Enthusiasts.  If you need nursing
care advice, well care advice, emergency advice or whatever - please post
to FML or call me and I'll do my darnest to figure out how to get back to
you.  You can also call me at 703-765-4353.

For  James B. Storm:

please don't blame yourself for the loss of your two dear ferrets.  I cannot
say what went wrong with your sugery patient - but sometimes surgery will
slow down clotting time and increase tendency for bleeding.  Also, since you
had a fresh surgical incision, running Sub-Q Ringers will have a tendency to
"run out" the incision line.  I am not sure what the bruising areas you
describe were - talk to Dr. Bruce Williams.  Please do not be afraid to get
some kits.  I advise two.  Please trust me, nothing will ever replace the
ferrets you have loved and lost, but new little guys will keep you busy, help
your grief, and give you back so much more love.  Sounds like you could use a
little right now.  My best to you.

Here is a variation recipe for Duck Soup to use on critical care ferrets.
    One can sustecal or ensure (vanilla); 3 oz. Infant pedylite, plain
flavor; small handful of high grade dry kitten food, or Totally Ferret'; one
tablet pepto-bismol; and one teaspoon of Special Care by Four D Paws -
available from Omaha Vaccine Co. Telephone 1-800-367-4444 (get a catalog
also).  Put ingredients in blender.  Let dry kitten or Totally ferret soften
a bit.  Blend on liquify.  Give to ferret using Infant medicine dropper
(5cc's)  - let liquid fall to bulb, squeese out air - fill again and then
again.  Should get approximately 3 tsp. this way.  At first your ferret might
resist.  Hold securely (the ferret, not the dropper.  Hold ferret's head
upright, squeese a bit in corner of mouth - continue until dropper empty.
 Usually ferrets will get to like the taste fairly quickly and will lick from
dropper as you hold it for them.  Critically ill or dehydrated ferrets should
be supported every two to three hours around the clock.  I know this is hard,
but often necessary when your baby is very weak and ill.  It is always
amazing to me at how fast a ferret can go down hill, but spring back almost
as fast at times.

Hope this makes it on FML - get in touch if I can be of help.  I have a house
full of ferrets from (at present) five months to over eight years of age.  My
hoard stays out in the house (except for whole hob in season) .  I have whole
and unholy ferrets (neutered). Pet store ferrets,  rescue ferrets, home bred
ferrets, German and Canandian ferrets- quite an ethnic mix.  They help me do
everything and sleep in the bed at night or wherever else they wish.  Best to
all, Meg.
 P.S. although I've had ferrets for around ll years, I've only lost two so
far - I have been extremely lucky.  But some of my old guys are hanging by a
thread. so expect this luck will change soon. M.