From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 19:02:57 -0400
Steven,

Supervision of a ferret outdoors - keep the ferret on a leash and keep the
leash in your hand.  Harnesses are perferred to collars.  The harness should
be tight enough that you can slip your little finger under it but not more.

I know of many ferrets that have been lost once outdoors.  They have little
homing instinct and unless they stumble across their scent trail will not
likely find their way back.  I've been told of a ferret that the owner left
for a moment tied on a leash, only to find on his return that a stray dog
tore the ferret to pieces.  Outside they are prey to dogs, cats and large
birds (owls, hawks, etc.) not to mention, vulnerable cars and even people who
think they are wild animals.

Dick B.