From:
Nancy Silvernale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 16:16:04 -0500
Hi Everyone!

This is my first message to the FML .. I'm kind of new to "surfing the net"
so please be patient with me!

I'm responding (a little late) to a message on "Green Slime" that was
mentioned in the 23 March posting.

I'm concerned because I recently lost my cherished little girl - Miss Aspen
Hope to that disease.  I still can't believe I didn't see how bad she was
until it was too late.  I "thought" she was getting better .. she was
playing and bouncing around (which included beating up the 3 boys I have).
But, I never noticed that she hadn't been eating/drinking .. I just assumed
she was.  And believe me I will NEVER make that assumption/mistake again!!

What I'm concerned about is that in the message (I'm sorry, I can't remember
who sent it) the person said  not to give our fuzzies Pepto Bismol because
it had aspirin in it which is toxic to ferrets.

I was told by my veterinarian to give 4 doses (1/2 of a child's dose of Pepto
Bismol) a day to 3 out of my 4 ferrets that were sick.  After about a week, I
stopped giving them the Pepto Bismol because they were so stressed out about
it ..  to the point where one of my babies would 'gag' just from smelling the
bottle!  So, I switched to children's cherry flavored Kaopectate which they
accepted MUCH more readily than the Pepto Bismol.

When I read the ingredients of the Pepto Bismol it says that it "does not
contain any Aspirin" .. I'm confused and I'm going to bring this up with my
vet. in a couple of weeks when I bring my babies in for a checkup.

Is there something in the Pepto Bismol besides aspirin that IS dangerous?

[Moderator's note: Since nobody answered last time - I really don't think
aspirin is a problem... DVMs?  BIG]

Is cherry flavored Kaopectate OK??

I'm so afraid of making a mistake again ...

Nancy