From:
Ted Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 11:16:39 EDT
We're moving next week, so I've been taking things apart and getting them
ready to pack.  Orville has taken to licking furiously at one of the chair
backs.  It is wood, Maranti.  I've never used any oils on it, but have
sprayed it with furniture polish occasionally.  It is otherwise untreated,
so any oils he's licking should be natural.  Maranti is an african hard wood
as far as I know and if I remember rightly considered marvellous for braaing
on - barbequeing as it is known to the rest of the world :) Should I be
concerned?

I went into a pet store the other day and they had a lovely chocolate brown
boy with black feet.  They were very nice and let me play with him.  Now,
they called him a sable.  I thought my guys were sable, but they don't look
anything like him.  I checked Ferret Central and still think mine are sables
- could someone tell me please - this is their colouring, as best as I can
describe it: They have white feet.  Their legs are brownish (dark, but not
chocolate) and their body fur starts whiteish with the tip being
brownish/blackish.  I think they are beautiful.

They are now a they - previously only had Orville.  Rajah arrived just over a
month ago.  Also from the SPCA.  Poor little poppet has had at least 4 homes
in her short life.  We think she's about 2.  (Orville turned 1 in June)
Apparently she was brought in because she attacked the guy's other ferret -
he had her for one day and bought her as a companion for his ferret.  Well,
she hasn't attacked Orville.  Not even tried to.  They play fight a lith
loads of squeaks (no dragging, no screaming).  But I've had no trouble
introducing them.  Orville met her at the SPCA and they spent time together
in the cage, on the floor, in a room on several occasions before I decided to
bring Rajah home.  They sleep together about half the time.  The only thing
was Orville's sulks - I think he liked being an only ferret.  It might have
been the heat too.  He's stopped it now though.  Boy could he sulk and make
you feel sooooo bad.

I'd thought that with two, they'd play together more, but no, sure
they play together, BUT they also want to play with me - so far from
spending the same amount of play time with them, I know spend about
double because they each want me for themselves for a while each day.
Do other people find this?  That their ferrets play together happily,
but if you play with them, they want separate turns?  Is this maybe
still a little part of the sulking phase and we'll get through it?

Another question.  Not having been around too many ferrets, how skinny/fat
should females be?  Rajah weighs about 1lb 12oz and feels like skin and bone
to me.  She eats as much as Orville.  (about a quarter cup of mixed Iams and
Science Diet kitten food daily) He weighs 3lbs and feels pretty chunky to
me.

I bought a product called Dermacare by Hagen yesterday, which the pet store
assured me was the same as Ferretone.  Is it?  Rajah thinks its yummy.
Orville won't waste his time on it.  They both love their hairball remedy,
grapes, melon, peanuts, peanut butter (but its soooo sticky).  Orville is
partial to a bit of salami and cucumber too.  Rajah prefers cornflakes.

To those of you whose ferrets passed on, my heartfelt condolences.  I'm only
a new ferret owner, but I've lost other pets in the past.  I'm soooooo
sorry.  My tears run too.

Thanks to you all for being here, to Mr Gruber for making it possible
and to the vets, shelters, breeders and others who add their wonderful
advice, stories and comments.

Sorry for the long post.
Tanya, Orville & Rajah