From:
Lynn Burroughs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 1995 11:01:25 EDT
Just a few words to encourage folks to keep those ferrets close while outside.

A friend of mine often takes her cockatiel, Dearie, outside to enjoy the sun.
Last week she walked into her solarium just in time to see a raptor diving on
Dearie, who was luckily inside and protected by the glass.  Unfortunately the
peregrine falcon did not survive the impact.  Dearie will now have to spend
his time enjoying the great outdoors through glass.

I don't know if a peregrine would go after a ferret, but lots of raptors can
be found in urban settings where one might feel safe from aerial attack.

Years ago a barn owl came after my ferret Jesse while we were on a midnight
stroll.  Luckily I saw it coming; I wouldn't have been able to protect the
ferret had the owl approached us from behind.  We all know that owls are
silent in flight, but not hearing is believing.

Cheers,
Lynn Burroughs
Magill (the ferret-sitter's worst nightmare)
Guinness (champion slayer of beepers)