From:
MRS TRACY E BUSSEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 1995 17:08:12 EDT
  I just received a letter from a couple whom I met at the last Central
Arizona Ferret Club meeting.  It was my first meeting as well as the
couples.  They brought their ferret which was a beautiful female silver
mitt named Sasha.  She was 10 months old and was a healthy, playful
ferret.  She had no prior contact with other ferrets before the meeting.
  In the letter I just received I was informed that Sasha had just died
due to the greenies.  Her owners are heartbroken.  They are also furious
with the Central AZ Ferret Club as they discovered that the virus has
been throughout the club and they apparently tried to keep it quiet.
Why,I do not understand.  It does seem that the club is the only place
Sasha could have contacted the virus as neither she or her owners did not
have any contact with other ferrets or ferret people until then.
  Sasha became sick on a Tuesday and died the next Wednesday.  She did
not have diarreha but vomited once each morning.  The vet they took her
to told them that Sasha did have the greenies and that the virus has
mutated.  He also told them that once the ferrets have the greenies that
they are not immune to it and will get it repeatedly.  I am terrified as
I not realizing how serious of a threat this greenies virus was took my
ferrets to the meeting last April.  This too is the first time my babies
have had contact with other ferrets outside of their gang and other
ferret people.  My ferrets all seem healthy and happy.  How long is the
incubation period on this virus?  I am absolutely terrifed!  I am also
outraged that people at that meeting brought their ferrets who they knew
had had the greenies and didn't let any new members know they were having
or had had a problem with this deadly virus!!
  Is there any test the vet can give them to see if my ferrets have been
exposed to this virus?  Like I said, they are all healthy and their
stools look normal.  Any information anyone has on this will be greatly
appreciated.  I will be crushed if anything happens to my babies and will
never forgive myself for taking them to that meeting.

       Tracy Bussey
       Flagstaff, AZ