From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 1995 07:07:20 -0400
To Carin, Randall and Chester:

        Black tarry stools means gastric bleeding, most likely an ulcer.  The
blood glucose is in the normal range, especially for a ferret who is not eating
- I would start him on Amoxi and PeptoBismol ASAP and wait and see with the
possible insulinoma.  You can take another blood glucose today and compare
results.  But start treating the gastric ulcer - this is what will most likely
save his life....the soap smell is due to the digested blood in the stool.

>1) Should we start giving him softened food through the syringe? Or
>should we just trust him to regulate it himslef?

        AT this point, he won't eat.  I know you said he didn't like the baby
food, but make him eat it.  Put it on your finger and stick it in his mouth,
and then eventually he will try to lick it off.  You need to be using the
Gerbers Second Foods Chicken (blue jar). It's the most palatable.

        That's what I use at my house....

--
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]               Armed Forces Institute of Pathology