From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 1995 07:36:13 -0500
To Eric Schwartz:

You brought up an EXCELLENT point, Eric, about little heads getting stuck
between the waterbed mattress and frame.  They could easily suffocate if
they became trapped and for some reason, couldn't get their heads out again.

My mattress has been nibbled on when I have become careless or (gasp) lazy.
My bedrooms are off limits for the ferrets.  When they are up, the doors
are closed.  They have the entire run of the downstairs and I've decided
that's plenty of room for them.

Occasionally, I've left my bedroom door open by mistake and that's when the
trouble begins.  The most damage was done one day when I accidentally
left the door open while changing the bed sheets.  The bed had absolutely
NO SHEETS on it at all, and Mickey and Mandy (in her much younger days)
*somehow* managed to get on the bed and nibbled all the way around the
plug.  There were little holes everywhere!  Fortunately, the blue magic
glue worked!

You're right about how much they love to jump around on a waterbed!  I've
let some of them do it (supervised - of course) because they seem to have
so much fun - like a trampolene - and they bounce and chatter and chuckle
all over the place!  I wish I could let them do it whenever they want,
but after my experience with the chewed plug, I don't dare!

Angel is probably my most well-behaved ferret - except for Duss-T, but
since he's a whole male, I don't really want to sleep with him!  She's
really the only one I would trust in my waterbed, but you're right -
a waterbed is no place for a ferret! (Whoops, I guess I should have said
I AGREE with you that a waterbed is no place for a ferret!! :) )

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA