From:
Laura L'Heureux Kupkee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 1995 14:51:53 CST
Troy Lynn,

Thank you for the clarification.  It helped.  Incidentally, in the last
report issued by the Morris Animal Foundation, under `Studies Sponsored by
MAF' it said: FERRET -- Rabies Shedding Study, Kansas State University.  That
is where I got my information, so I assumed it was reliable.  Perhaps they
still consider it to be based there even though it's being conducted in
Georgia.

Since it *is* being funded by Morris AF, which tends to be pretty committed,
I have to wonder *who's* cutting the budget, and what the CDC, a federal
organization, has to do with it.  The NIH probably isn't interested because
they're more than likely ignorant as to the number and growing popularity of
ferrets.  Perhaps we should make them educated.  Again I assert that if it is
Morris AF who is funding this, than it is *our* job to insure it continues to
be funded via financial and written support.  Pessimism will get us nowhere.
That is simply an observation, not a criticism -- I can understand your
concerns and frustrations, believe me.  I plan to call Morris AF on Monday (I
tried today but they're not open) and see if I can get their angle on the
study.

Laura

Laura L'Heureux Kupkee
U. of Illinois Vet Med Class of `96