Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 23 May 1995 23:34:55 +0059
From:
paul j ziady <[log in to unmask]>
After reading on fml that the sierra club was against the legalization of
ferrets in California, I thought that this would be of interest to the
californians, as well as others
---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Tue, 23 May 95 20:14:58

Paul:

Melanie forwarded your message to me. I believe the reason is probably based
on the fact ferrets have never been domesticated and many people (including
myself) would prefer that they remained purely wild species (captive breeding
being used only in cases such as with the black footed ferret which is near
extinction but being reestablished in Wyoming.)  In addition, many people who
have purchased ferrets at pet stores have found that they did not get what
they expected.  Lovely to handle as a young animal, the ferret is often more
than one can handle as an adult.

I have left a message for Kevin Finney asking for information specific to the
California situation that I can pass on to you.  You may want to try to reach
him directly in case I'm not able to get back to you very quickly.  His phone
number in Santa Cruz is 408-459-8346.  I will be interested to learn about
what's happening in California so please keep me copied on further messages.

I realize this may have little bearing on your question (and perhaps your
experience? with ferrets) but I thought it might interest you to know that a
few years ago we had a controversy in my state legislature about whether or
not ostriches should be considered stock animals like cattle.  It was
centered around the question of whether their handling in captivity (and for
profit) should be the regulated by the Dept of Agriculture and Commerce or
the state wildlife agency.

Laurie Macdonald
Chair, Endangered Species Act/Habitat Campaign
103 Wildwood Lane St Petersburg, Florida 33705
(813) 821-9585