Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 15:03:20 -0400
From:
Deborah Micklea <[log in to unmask]>
I'm turning to the FML hoping there is someone out there who can help me.  As
I know no other ferret owners in Michigan, I feel pretty alone and helpless.
I just came home from finding out my 5 month old male ferret, Tygger, has
cardiomyopathy (sp?).  I can't believe it.  Every time I called a vet (on
your suggestions) about his coughing they told me he was too young, and that
as long as he was eating and his nose and eyes weren't runny, he was fine,
and they didn't want to see him.  After some research I found a vet that
treats a lot of ferrets, and after talking to him he wanted to see him right
away today, during his lunch (first bad sign).  And then when he called me
back to see Tyg's x ray and started out with "this is what a healthy ferret
heart looks like" I knew there was trouble.  And now I can't stop crying....
Does anyone else out there have any experience with a ferret with this
condition?  What should I expect?  The vet put him on lasix twice daily-how
much should this help?(yes, I know it's not a cure). What can I do to make
things better for him.  The vet suggested to keep him from hard play-that
seems really hard to do since he's so young, I can't imagine him or his
sister liking this at all.  They tell me this is probably a genetic
condition.  Should I contact the pet store and breeder he came from?  I got
his "sister" at the same age and time.  What if they are litter mates?  Could
she get it?  What exactly does this "ferret guarentee" from UFO cover?
Sadly from Michigan,
Deborah, Pooh and Tygger.