From:
Pamela K Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 1995 12:01:43 -0700
Two of our kids are experiencing disturbing behavior.  Ernie (male, sable,
4.5y) and Grover (female, albino, 4y) are both doing weird things when they
try to eat.  I haven't noticed it in Ernie lately but my husband has; I saw
Grover trying to drink this morning and last night and everytime she took a
drink she shook her head vigorously and clawed at her mouth.  Jay says he
has seen Ernie do the same with foam at his mouth.  I read the insulinoma
faq and this seems to be the only symptom close to that disease.  It's very
difficult to notice if Grover is "spacing out" since she has always been
that way.  She will come into the room lie down on the floor and just
stare.  I seem to think it's due to her eyesight being poor.  We don't
notice the same in Ernie.  A couple months ago, we had a very strange
episode with Ernie.  He was running around clawing at his mouth and
foaming.  He seemed to get a little better and then went to lay down.  When
I went to check on him he was awake and then went running again.  I gave
him some "laxatone" (actually standard cat hairball remover) and that
seemed to help a great deal.  This happened twice in a month period.  Now
we are noticing these other symptoms.  The only other strange thing going
on is that our youngest, Elmo (male, butterscotch(?), 2y) has had diahrea
for a week.  Our vet says that he isn't dehydrated and it obviously isn't
the green diahrea since the other two do't have it and let it run its
course.  He seems fine otherwise.  So, there ya go.  I realize it's hard to
diagnose over the net but any suggestions I can take to my vet here?  Thank
you.  Oh, yeah.  Jay is going home at lunch to check on Grover's teeth to
see if it isn't a cavity (the cold water hitting it).

Pamela K. Barber
Flagstaff, AZ