From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 1995 18:11:05 CDT
This weekend, out of the clear blue, a "blood blister" appeared behind Granny's
ear. It was about the size of a dime and swollen and VERY bright blood red
colored. I have never seen one, but figured it was a mast cell tumor from
the descriptions I've read. My vet wasn't open and pondered what to do since
I figured removal of the "tumor" would require anesthesia and Granny is VERY
old. Well, anyway on Saturday a.m. I applied some Panalog cream (I think just
an antibiotic and cortisone) to the spot to try and relieve any discomfort. I
reapplied it every few hours. By Sunday evening the blood blister was totally
gone. There is no evidence of any sore having been there. I'm 99% positive that
she was neither chewed upon by her brothers or sisters or injured either
because we keep her mighty protected. Any ideas what this was? Hmmmmm....
Otherwise, Granny is doing pretty darn good.

To the person who said the baby living with them had a bald tail and course
fur and was wondering if it could be malnutrition. Yes, maybe. When Granny
came to live with us after having had close call experience with starvation,
she had a bald tail and course fur too. Since she has been receiving
unrelenting TLC - her tail fur has come back and she is soft as a powderpuff.
Along with feeding her excellent food, we brushed her daily, sprayed her with
a couple different types of coat conditioner (Marshall Farms at pet stores and
a prescription Humectant from the vet), treated sore spots and the pads of her
feet with Vitamin E (gel capsules punctured and squeezed), and gave her
supplements of Linatone and Ferretvite.

I have also read that fur loss *on the tail* can be caused by changes in the
photoperiods that is to say differences in the length of the light and the
length of the dark of a day. This fur loss is apparently seen in combination
with a red waxy substance appearing on their tails as well. Granny had this
red waxy look to the skin of her tail when it was bald (almost looks like
scabs - but different than black heads in that it is quite red and very waxy
looking rather than black pimples). But, even with the fur having grown back,
the red wax has not gone away. It cannot be washed off or ridded it seems
with washing or application of antiseptics. Perhaps this little tike did not
see much of the light of day, as I assume Granny did not... Do wish these
beasties could speak English.

Well, as always, thank you and best wishes to all ferrets and humans.
Charlene