From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 1995 10:14:42 -0700
To Scotty and Tourie,
        Please be assured that I am *not* upset or condeming you for
buying a young kit.  I have a real problem with the people or business
(Marshall Farms) selling kits that young.  Ferret mothers teach their
babies about litter boxes when they are about 5-7 weeks old so the young
babies are missing out on a lot of education and mothering by being
separated so early.
        Our shelter recently received a call from the Portland Humane
Society.  It seems that someone left a box on the front step that
contained a tiny baby ferret.  Chris Mathis rushed down there and
determined that the baby was about 1 week old at most. She doubted it
could be saved since it was so young and was cold.
        One of the breeders at the ferretry, Molly, had given birth 2
weeks previously so Chris thought she might accept the orphan.  Molly
sniffed the baby and then gently grabed it around the neck and proceeded
to nurse it. (Those mother ferrets - they are so greedy!  They will take
almost any baby!) Molly's milk dried up recently but Little Orphan Annie
is doing very well.  She recently opened her eyes and is beginning to eat
solid food and is also being given some formula. One day soon she will go
to a good home!

        -Carla
        Portland, Oregon