From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 1995 07:57:46 -0500
To the Vet who gave Fred Rahner the Herbal Diet:

Would you mind posting the ingredients and formula of your herbal
diet on the FML?  I've heard about this diet but I don't know what
it consists of, and I'm sure others on the FML might be interested
in it as well.  I know of some people who have tried this diet and
say it works wonders, but I have not been able to secure the recipe
as yet.

I'd like to try it on 4 of my ferrets who developed major intestinal
damage after the greenies in 93 - they still have problems to th is
day.  Totally Ferret helped a lot - in fact, when giving them 100%
TF, they don't have any diarrhea.  However, after several months of
eating nothing but TF, they are revolting - they want a mix!!  When
I gave them what they wanted (Proplan Turkey/Barley, TF, and C/D,
they got diarrhea again.  My vet and I have discussed this, and I
tried PP Lite - it still has the high protein, but a lower fat content.
I've been mixing this w/TF and I also tried the 8 in 1 raisin-coated
diet - which they love - however, I've been told by 2 knowledgable
ferret vets that beet pulp, molasses, and raisin juice may play
havoc w/a ferret's sugar-regulating system (ie, the pancreas).

Mixing these 3 diets has controlled the diarrhea, but I'm not feeling
comfortable w/the raisin-coated food.  Dr Weiss or Dr Williams - do
you have any opinions about the sugar content in the 8 in 1?

Dr Willard (if you're on the FML) - we need another flavor of TF!!!!

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA