From:
Grace Sylvan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 1995 10:47:00 PST
Anon writes:

> Date:         Wed, 29 Mar 1995 15:00:05 -0800
> From:         Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Is Coat Guard shampoo safe?
>
> I have a lifetime or two (ferret-wise) supply of Coat Guard shampoo form
> a company called Protec, a division of Protein Technology of Pleasant
> Hills, California.  I originally bought this stuff for our dog because
> of his super sensitive skin, but decided to go back to a flea shampoo
[..]
> The label explicitly states that it's okay for cats.

Well, this is the pointer that I've always used to know if something
is safe -- cats lick themselves a lot, and therefore would ingest some
of the shampoo or flea treatment or whatever. So, if it's safe for
cats, it's safe for rug rats, since they lick themselves less than
cats. The ingredients sounded harmless enough.

And Mason Weinrich wrote:

> Date:         Wed, 29 Mar 1995 08:03:00 -0500
> From:         Mason Weinrich <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      PLEASE HELP - Save Pogo from Slinky!!!

[pongo is 7 weeks old]

>         Well, yesterday I brought Pogo in.  Slinky went right up to him,
> sniffed for about 20 seconds, and then grabbed the little one hard, and
> started dragging him all over the apartment.  Poor Pogo started crying out,
> so I separated them.  This has gone on again and again.  I even tried
> spraying the back of Pogo's neck with Bitter Apple (see, I told you I had
> read some stuff ahead of time) - no effect.

I had the same thing happen when I got Impulse, at exactly 8 weeks
old. My 3 older ferrets (all fixed males) took turns dragging the
little guy around the room, each trying to hide him in their own
favorite corner. I think it's some kind of parenting instinct coming
up. Keep them separated - maybe leave the little one in the cage, and
let the big one roam, and let little Pogo grow. In a few weeks, he
won't trigger the carry and protect reflex in Slinky. Once that stops,
then a few supervised visits should be all that's needed before you
can leave them together.

                                *Tigger*