From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 18:29:32 -0500
To the anonymous poster:

BBF in their natural habitat spend their days underground sleeping in cool
tunnels.  "They only come out at night."  Midwester nights are significantly
cooler than their days.  It's hot all over in the summer - NY is hot, Toronto
is hot.  You just have to know how to deal with it.  I don't have AC, but on
really hot days, I put fans on my ferrets, keep their room dark (yes they have
their own room), spritz them with water, and I put down pans of water on the
kitchen floor for them to play in.  They pretty much sleep most of the day and
I don't force them to play.  They are, by nature, more active in the early AM
and late PM.  On hot, sunny days, I don't take them out.  They are better off
home.

As for the flying, I would NEVER suggest taking a ferret on board without a
proper carrier.  Ferrets need food, water, a litter pan, and blankets.  If my
carrier was under my seat, I would not be concerned about losing him in the
plane.

A few months ago, a woman flew across the country (CA to NY maybe?).  When she
got to NY, her cat's carrier door was open and the cat was gone.  She asked to
search the cargo area but the airlines refused.  While she was getting a court
order, the plane was flying back/forth across country.  Well, she got the
court order, searched the plane, and found her cat!  The poor feline was de-
hydrated, hungry, and very stressed out.  After a few days in the kitty
hospital, the cat was well enough to travel and the airlines flew them home
first class.

I just think it's too risky to fly any animal in cargo.  Again, it reaches temps
of 100 to 120 degrees.  I don't care what they tell you - it's too hot in their
for any animal.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA