From:
"Anna M. Adam" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 08:01:42 -0600
Okay, various comments to various postings. I've been extremely busy the
last few weeks and haven't even had the time to LURK completely. Sheesh. I
have a few seconds before my niece and nephew (my wards for the week) wake
up and I have to do the pat down check on the bed to see if they stayed dry
over night.
        About Scott and Toons. Scott and I both live in Austin, Texas which
would seem to suggest it was probably hot here when Toons died. But it
wasn't. It was actually a very cool breezy weekend. Sunday was the 'hottest'
day and I think it only barely reached 80. I'm thinking it was a combination
of things that caused this tragedy. I'm only saying this for those of us who
would be quick to blame Scott for what happened. I was in the same city the
same day it happened, and I would not have imagined that would have
happened. I would have probably tried to sneak my ferret into the restaurant
instead, but them I'm a bit of a trouble-maker. :) Me and my crew feel for
you, Scott.
        The ringworm kitty (Chloe) had her kittens nine days ago. Two of the
four kittens have their eyes open. They're quite adorable. Anyway, Chloe has
gotten her shots now and the kittens will get wormed (if necessary) and
stuff as soon as they're able. My question, how soon can I let them meet the
ferrets? Should I wait until they're completely weaned and ready to find
homes? I'd like to socialize them as early as possible. I wouldn't consider
putting them with Applejuice or Max because they're a bit too crazy. But
Beckett as the sweetest, calmest thing who I know would LOVE to cuddle those
new furries. Any suggestions?
        Speaking of Chloe reminds me of Casper. I think someone MAY have
owned Chloe before I took her in. I took her in because it was cold and wet
and I felt a pregnant belly. If someone HAD owned her, they didn't take good
care of her. She had ringworm, and tapeworm, and earmites and her fur was
very matted. And, she obviously hadn't been spayed. She's mine now, because
_I_ take care of her. I say you KEEP Casper. He's YOURS now because you love
him unconditionally. Even if he smells, or he poops in the wrong corner,
he's your baby and you love him. Just tell his FORMER owners that your
family has grown too attached to Casper and they can find themSELVES a new
ferret if they're interested. They had their chance.
        Kitty proofing a litter box. I had the same problem with Chloe.
Dormilon, the cat I've had for nearly 16 years, always goes in his own box,
but Chloe went in every teeny box strategically placed in ferret corners.
You might try covering the ferret boxes like cat boxes are sometimes
covered, just on a smaller scale. Cut out a cardboard box so that it looks
like a little table and place it over the ferret box. Too short for the cat
to bother trying to maneuver but tall enough that the ferrets just think
they have a shaded poop place. My only problem was getting the ferrets to
stop trying to drag it off.
        Well, the humans are awake. Fortunately they both insist that the
bed is dry, and there are no tale tell signs on them (wet pj's) so this may
be a great day yet! I absolutely adore my niece and nephew, btw. :) My niece
is bumping me off the computer. "Aunt Anna can I pwease pway Dr. T's Sing
Along? Pwease?" *sigh* How can I say 'no?'
        Happy ferretting!
Ahn (the auntie)
Gabe and Jarrett (the niecephews)
Chloe and Dormilon (the cats)
Twitch, Bonk, Boomer and the Nameless Wonder (the kittens)
Applejuice, Beckett, and Max.3 (the beastlings)
and finally last and least Alpha (the Beta fish)