From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 1995 22:23:59 -0700
I think my newly adopted ferret, Angel, is deaf. To those with
experience: What's the best way to check for this?

I never noticed it before, because usually, when I'm talking to her,
she's looking right at me. I first suspected something unusual when I
called her many times this afternoon to come and get a raisin treat --
she had just been dooking around the house. When I went to check on her,
she was already napping, so I figured she'd just gone to sleep.

But later this evening, when I called her again while she was running
around, she still didn't respond. So I put her on the bed and clapped my
hands loudly when she wasn't looking -- no response. Then I got out a
loud whistle -- still no response. Just to be sure, I tried it again just
now while she and Frankie were sleeping. Frankie woke up and looked
like she would run if I didn't stop; Angel just kept snoozing.

It doesn't seem to affect her or slow her down any. It may explain why
she squeals so loudly when she's playing with the others -- maybe she
can't hear herself. I've never known a ferret to be so loud; she even
dooks to herself when she's running around the house. All of my other
ferrets have been very quiet after the first few months of life. She
seems very content and very active; mostly, we communicate face to face.
Even when she's nipped and I've yelled at her, I wonder if the real
communication was just the look on my face and the feel of me grabbing
her and shaking her slightly.

She's so beautiful. I'm sad that she can't hear very well, if at all. But
on the other hand, perhaps there's a special bliss in not hearing; at
least she doesn't have to jump with fear when she hears a strange sound or a
loud noise. She just dooks around the house contentedly, playing with the
other furrballs and checking out the scenery.

                        Linda