From:
MRS PATRICIA L ISRAELSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 1995 14:31:37 EST
-- [ From: Patricia L. Israelson * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

To Greg Roth;
  I personally checked into shipping ferrets by air a few weeks ago.  I
had a family in Louisiana that was looking for a male and couldn't find
one.  Federal Express and UPS do NOT ship live freight.  I did have
success with the larger airlines like American and Delta.  They have
special rates for shipping live freight and the prices vary.  My best
advice is to check with the airlines and find out who has a direct
flight to your destination.  If your ferrets are used to being caged
together, you can ship them in a pet taxi together.  Just make sure
that you get a pet taxi carrier large enough to carry them in that is
also airline approved.  I secure a small rectangular plastic container
( such as Rubbermaid makes for storing food in ) with kitty litter in
it so they have a potty pan to use.  I also put in their favorite towel
or blanket for sleeping.  You may have to provide them with food, water
and feeding instructions if their flight is over a certain length of
time. You will also need health certificates from your vet, and their
required shots must be current.  I have traveled several times by air
with a ferret, but since I had only one with me ( Murphy, my PR ferret )
, I was able to carry him on board the plane with me and keep him under
the seat in a small airline pet taxi.  There was a $50 charge for him
to go on board with me.  Ferrets are great travelers.  They don't howl
like cats; they just curl up and go to sleep for the duration of the
trip.  I hope this information helps you.  Oh, one more thing, you need
to be aware of the weather temperature.  If it's real hot (over 90
degrees) be careful!  You don't want them suffering from heat stroke.
     Patty Israelson and the Beggars & Thieves Ferrets