From:
"Michelle Z. Matta" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 08:58:14 -0500
Hi everyone!

I've got a question about canned cat food.  Our five girls are all under
1 year old.  The two oldest are 9 months.  Their diet consists of a
mixture of Iams kitten food and 8 in 1 ferret food.  It is available at
all times to them and is always full.  For treats, they each get a
little Petromalt daily and on occasion they get a little Ferretone (nail
clipping and ear cleaning times).  Ever since we brought them home
though, in the mornings they like to eat "breakfast" - one can of Fancy
Food cat food.  All five split it and they really look forward to it.
When I let them out of the cage, they all greet me in their own way,
bounce around for a little and then they all start to stare at me to
catch any sudden move toward the kitchen cupboard for their food.  Then
I've got 5 ferrets climbing up my legs trying to get to this food.

I've heard the canned food is generally not good for them on a regular
basis and that after a year, it should be stopped.

My question is HOW?  This is part of their routine!  Every once in a
while if I run out of cans before grocery shopping day, I get 5 ferrets
following my every move ALL DAY and any time that I go near the kitchen
- look out!  How do I take them off of this diet and SHOULD I?  They
don't skip out on the dry food to eat the wet stuff, its just a little
added bonus for them.  They all eat the dry stuff like they haven't
eaten in weeks.

Any input?

Mish, Kenny, Salt, Pepper, Snowball, Ayla & Shawdow