From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 1995 07:01:32 -0500
I agree with everything Dick Bossart said about ferret odors - it's neutering
that makes a difference.  I also only give baths around 2 or 3 times a year.

I would like to add one more thing though:  I've had calls from people
complaining about ferret odors - they said they changed litter pans
frequently and bathed once a week and the ferret still smelled.  I asked
about blankets and hammies, yes, they used them.  How often do you wash
the blankets?  NEVER, she said.

No matter how often you bathe your ferret, if you don't wash blankets and
towels at least once a week, and scrub those cages down (I wash bottom
pans 1x/wk and the entire cage every 4 - 6 wks), then your ferret is
going to smell.

My ferrets have now taken over the dining room - which is misnomer because
nobody dines in there but the ferrets.  My neighbor who is not particularly
fond of ferrets told me my house doesn't smell like there are 17 ferrets.
Since I like musky smells anyway, I'm not a good judge if it smells or not -
but he is!

One more thing while on odors:  I was truly surprised at the number of
email messages I got from people telling me they too like the smell of skunks!
I believe the total number including public confessions numbered around 10!
Now, if that figure is consistent, then 1% of the population likes the smell
of skunks!@!  :)

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA