From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 1995 06:40:55 -0400
To Charlene:

>Sometimes I have to run in to the bathroom grab a towel and run back to
>throw it on the floor so she will have a place to hide her head and barf.
>She will also try and eat the vomit really fast so that I don't see it, I
>guess.  Are you familiar with this behavior and more importantly what is
>causing this upset stomach?

        Charlene - The behavior is unique - when my ferrets vomit, they just
rear back and let fly, although I have had one that wanted to run under or
behind something....

        In older ferrets, gatric Helicobacter infection often causes a
pronounced inflammatory response and atrophy of the acid secreting cells in the
stomach linig.  This is probably the most common cause of vomiting in older
animals, as it renders the stomach unable to digest food well.  What is the
exact trigger for vomiting - I'm not sure.  In older animals, I often
supplement their normal ration with chicken baby food for a little extra
protein - it's not high enough to put a strain on the kidneys, and it's well
tolerated even by the most inflamed stomach...

--
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]               Armed Forces Institute of Pathology